How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Starwood, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Serene Setting: Our home is situated at the end of a quiet dead end street in a residential neighbourhood. Our Residents love the peace and tranquility of our gardens and backyard with the beautiful tress, patios, water garden and waterfall.
- Music Therapy: A Registered Music Therapist comes to our home twice a week to reminisce through music and song with residents. She uses a variety of instruments and leads a sing along to connect with residents. Afterwards they talk about the songs and discuss their feelings and memories associated with the music. She also runs our residents choir, which, with the help of volunteers from the community, holds 3 performances a year for audiences of up to 100.
- Scarlet Ladies Chapter: We have a chapter of the Scarlet Ladies who hold a monthly tea and social for which they all dress in their finest red and purple outfits.
- Music and Memory:Through our Music and Memory Program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Weekly BBQ: Our weekly barbecues are quite famous. Every Friday when the weather is good we hold a barbecue for residents, staff, family members and members of the community. As many as 275 have been known to enjoy one of our tasty burgers.
- Penpal Program: We have an active Penpal program in which local students exchange letters with residents on a regular basis.
- Intergenerational Program: In our Intergenerational Program, elementary students from a nearby school come to the home once a month to play games, sing songs, read books and more with residents. Even the most reclusive residents enjoy their company.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Certified Music Therapist
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist